Student Visa General Information
Foreigners who wish to study or undertake courses in officially recognised public or private Spanish teaching centres, must obtain the corresponding student visa.
The student visa allows the student to stay in Spain, and the duration of the stay will be equal to the duration of the course in which they have enrolled.
The requirements for the student visa are:
- Fulfillment of all of the entry requirements.
- Acceptance into an officially recognized Spanish teaching or scientific centre, public or private, to carry out or extend studies. The timetable of the course must be indicated which implies attendance and a study plan.
- In the case of students who are minors and who are not accompanied by parents or legal guardians, authorization from their guardians will be required for their relocation to Spain in order to study. The name of the centre and the period of the stay must be indicated.
- The necessary economic means to be able to pay for course and accommodation costs and return journey to country of origin and, if applicable, for family members, must be guaranteed.
The request for a Student Visa must be made in person, in the official format in the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in the country of origin. In the case of minors the application should be presented in person by their parents or guardians or an accredited representative.
Upon requesting the Student Visa the applicants must present documents which accredit the following:
- Validity of the passport or travel document for the entire period of the visa.
- Acceptance into an officially recognised public or private teaching centre.
- The content of the study programme that they plan to carry out.
- Medical insurance which covers, for the entire duration of their stay in Spain, the medical costs and costs of repatriation associated with an accident or sudden illness.
- The availability of funds for subsistence and accommodation for the period requested and, if necessary, to guarantee the return to the country of origin.
- In the case of minors, the corresponding parental or legal authorization.
In the case of the duration of studies exceeding six months the following is also required:
- A medical certificate.
- In the case of applicants who are above the legal criminal age, a criminal record check.
The Consulate or Embassy may require the presence of the applicant, and where considered necessary, to attend an interview.
The Embassy or Consulate will make a decision about the application and will, in the case of it being successful, issue the Student Visa within a month.
In the event of the acceptance of the application, the applicant should collect the visa within a period of two months from notification.
If the duration of the stay for studies exceeds six months, the applicant must apply for the corresponding foreign student card within a period of one month after entry into Spain.